How can I help?

dawidol
Hello, I'm Dawid and I'm 26, from Poland, Wrocław. Programming in java for 4 years already. It is convulsive need of doing something more then just work, that's why I want to contribute to TomEE.   TOMEE-2520 - that's the first task I could take.  There is no description, so the guess is to implement some more examples for BV and MP JWT. Can I take it? Should I split it to different branches?

Re: How can I help?

David Salter-4
Hi Dawid, and thanks for wanting to contribute to TomEE :)

There is an example currently using JWT and BV at

https://tomee.apache.org/tomee-8.0/examples/mp-jwt-bean-validation.html <https://tomee.apache.org/tomee-8.0/examples/mp-jwt-bean-validation.html>

So I would guess the best thing to do with TOMEE-2520 would be to look and see how this example and its documentation could be made better, or to see if there are any further examples that could be written to include any other pieces of functionality that are currently missing.

The code for this example is in git at:

https://github.com/apache/tomee/tree/master/examples/mp-jwt-bean-validation <https://github.com/apache/tomee/tree/master/examples/mp-jwt-bean-validation>

If you’ve got any questions, drop a message to this group and someone will help :)

Good luck, and have fun :)

David.

> Hello, I&#39;m Dawid and I&#39;m 26, from Poland, Wrocław. Programming in java for 4 years already. It is convulsive need of doing something more then just work, that&#39;s why I want to contribute to TomEE.   TOMEE-2520 - that&#39;s the first task I could take.  There is no description, so the guess is to implement some more examples for BV and MP JWT. Can I take it? Should I split it to different branches?

Re: How can I help?

Cesar Hernandez
Welcome to the list Dawid,
I can assign to you TomEE-2520, let us know your JIRA username. If you
don't have yet an Apache JIRA username, then follow the documented workflow
[1]

So I would guess the best thing to do with TOMEE-2520 would be to look and
> see how this example and its documentation could be made better, or to see
> if there are any further examples that could be written to include any
> other pieces of functionality that are currently missing.

+1, great suggestion from David.

[1] http://tomee.apache.org/community/contributing/workflow.html

El lun., 3 jun. 2019 a las 7:38, David Salter (<[hidden email]>)
escribió:

> Hi Dawid, and thanks for wanting to contribute to TomEE :)
>
> There is an example currently using JWT and BV at
>
> https://tomee.apache.org/tomee-8.0/examples/mp-jwt-bean-validation.html <
> https://tomee.apache.org/tomee-8.0/examples/mp-jwt-bean-validation.html>
>
> So I would guess the best thing to do with TOMEE-2520 would be to look and
> see how this example and its documentation could be made better, or to see
> if there are any further examples that could be written to include any
> other pieces of functionality that are currently missing.
>
> The code for this example is in git at:
>
> https://github.com/apache/tomee/tree/master/examples/mp-jwt-bean-validation
> <
> https://github.com/apache/tomee/tree/master/examples/mp-jwt-bean-validation
> >

> If you’ve got any questions, drop a message to this group and someone will
> help :)
>
> Good luck, and have fun :)
>
> David.
>
> > On 1 Jun 2019, at 21:43, dawidol <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hello, I&#39;m Dawid and I&#39;m 26, from Poland, Wrocław. Programming
> in java for 4 years already. It is convulsive need of doing something more
> then just work, that&#39;s why I want to contribute to TomEE.   TOMEE-2520
> - that&#39;s the first task I could take.  There is no description, so the
> guess is to implement some more examples for BV and MP JWT. Can I take it?
> Should I split it to different branches?

César Hernández.

How can I help?

Jenkins, Rodney J (Rod)
Hello all,

My name is Rod Jenkins.  I am a Middleware Engineer with Nationwide Insurance.

I would like to get involved to improve some documentation.  By improving documentation, I would get a better idea where I fit in and expand my knowledge of TomEE.  Also, if I can help provide better documentation, the application developers that I work with will be more successful.  Couple of the things I am curious about is testing and currency with Tomcat:
How does TomEE get tested?
What do I need to be concerned about when a new version is released for testing?
Writing new tests.
How does new versions of Tomcat get tested with TomEE and rolled in to the product?

I have been an infrastructure engineer, mainly Linux/UNIX, for over 25 years.  I have worked in the distribution, telecommunications, and financial services industries.

Please let me know the best way I can fit in and help.

Thank you,
Rod Jenkins

Re: How can I help?

Richard Monson-Haefel
Hi Rod,

I'll leave it to another contributor to answer your specific questions, but
I wanted to say, "Welcome!" to TomEE and let you know that we are excited
to have you join us.  As someone with 25 years in the industry like you,
I'm always excited to see another veteran engineer join the community!

Welcome aboard!

Richard

--
Richard Monson-Haefel
https://twitter.com/rmonson
https://www.linkedin.com/in/monsonhaefel/

Re: How can I help?

Alex Rabelo Ferreira
Welcome to the community :D

[image: Mailtrack]
Remetente
notificado por
Mailtrack
15/06/19
13:47:40

--
*Att.*

Alex Rabelo Ferreira
Mestre em Ciências da Computação INF/UFG

*"Os grandes feitos são conseguidos não pela força, mas pela perseverança"
- *Samuel Johnson

Re: How can I help?

Cesar Hernandez
Hi Rodney,

Welcome and feel free to keep the questions, suggestions, and conversations
coming.
Replying in line:

I would like to get involved to improve some documentation.

That sounds great,  This is our contributor workflow:
http://tomee.apache.org/community/contributing/workflow.html
In JIRA we have a couple of Epics and open tickets related to
documentation. You can search this by applying the following Jira Filter
[1] or the url [2]
How to test documentation and also improve the current website is described
here: [3]

How does TomEE get tested?

We use Apache infrastructure using Buildbot for its continuous integration.
You can access main builds (Ubuntu ones) URLs in the website [4] along with
complementary information.

> What do I need to be concerned about when a new version is released for
> testing?
> How do new versions of Tomcat get tested with TomEE and rolled in to the
> product?
> Writing new tests.

If this question is related with an application you currently have, my
suggestion would be to check out the release to have a first-hand set of
information about the improvements and fixes the new Tomee version has, for
example [5]. We use arquillian in the majority of cases to develop new
tests. You can check [4] to learn how to run and test the code, and [6] for
community-related articles.

[1] project = TOMEE AND type  = documentation  AND resolution = Unresolved
ORDER BY priority DESC, created DESC
[2]
https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?filter=12345294&jql=project%20%3D%20TOMEE%20AND%20type%20%20%3D%20documentation%20%20AND%20resolution%20%3D%20Unresolved%20ORDER%20BY%20priority%20DESC%2C%20created%20DESC
[3] https://www.tomitribe.com/blog/how-to-contribute-to-the-tomee-website/
[4] http://tomee.apache.org/community/sources.html
[5] https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/TOMEE/versions/12344880
[6] https://www.tomitribe.com/blog/category/community/

El sáb., 15 jun. 2019 a las 10:48, Alex Rabelo Ferreira (<
[hidden email]>) escribió:

> Welcome to the community :D
>

> [image: Mailtrack]
> <
> https://mailtrack.io?utm_source=gmail&utm_medium=signature&utm_campaign=signaturevirality5&
> >
> Remetente
> notificado por
> Mailtrack
> <
> https://mailtrack.io?utm_source=gmail&utm_medium=signature&utm_campaign=signaturevirality5&
> >
> 15/06/19
> 13:47:40
>
> On Fri, Jun 14, 2019 at 2:06 PM Jenkins, Rodney J (Rod) <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hello all,
> >
> > My name is Rod Jenkins.  I am a Middleware Engineer with Nationwide
> > Insurance.
> >
> > I would like to get involved to improve some documentation.  By improving
> > documentation, I would get a better idea where I fit in and expand my
> > knowledge of TomEE.  Also, if I can help provide better documentation,
> the
> > application developers that I work with will be more successful.  Couple
> of
> > the things I am curious about is testing and currency with Tomcat:
> > How does TomEE get tested?
> > What do I need to be concerned about when a new version is released for
> > testing?
> > Writing new tests.
> > How does new versions of Tomcat get tested with TomEE and rolled in to
> the
> > product?
> >
> > I have been an infrastructure engineer, mainly Linux/UNIX, for over 25
> > years.  I have worked in the distribution, telecommunications, and
> > financial services industries.
> >
> > Please let me know the best way I can fit in and help.
> >
> > Thank you,
> > Rod Jenkins
> >

> --
> *Att.*
>
> Alex Rabelo Ferreira
> Mestre em Ciências da Computação INF/UFG
>
> *"Os grandes feitos são conseguidos não pela força, mas pela perseverança"
> - *Samuel Johnson

César Hernández.

Re: Re: How can I help?

Jenkins, Rodney J (Rod)
Thank you all for the warm welcome!!

I have spent some time becoming familiar with the repo.  The 1st question I have is about installation-drop-in-war.adoc

We are considering this option as our standard way of installing TomEE.  We have a complete Tomcat Product and looks like it would be an easy add-on.  However, according to this doc, "Tomcat 7.x installation" is what you would use as a base.  I am thinking that is outdated.  Am I correct?

If so, I don’t mind updating that doc, but then I have another question about how things are done here:  What Tomcat versions is the TomEE war tested against?

Thanks,
Rod.

    Nationwide Information Security Warning: This is an external email. Do not click on links or open attachments unless you trust the sender.

    [hidden email]>) escribió:

    > Welcome to the community :D
    >
    >
    >
    > [image: Mailtrack]
    > <
    > https://mailtrack.io?utm_source=gmail&utm_medium=signature&utm_campaign=signaturevirality5&
    > >
    > Remetente
    > notificado por
    > Mailtrack
    > <
    > https://mailtrack.io?utm_source=gmail&utm_medium=signature&utm_campaign=signaturevirality5&
    > >
    > 15/06/19
    > 13:47:40
    >
    > On Fri, Jun 14, 2019 at 2:06 PM Jenkins, Rodney J (Rod) <
    > [hidden email]> wrote:
    >
    > > Hello all,
    > >
    > > My name is Rod Jenkins.  I am a Middleware Engineer with Nationwide
    > > Insurance.
    > >
    > > I would like to get involved to improve some documentation.  By improving
    > > documentation, I would get a better idea where I fit in and expand my
    > > knowledge of TomEE.  Also, if I can help provide better documentation,
    > the
    > > application developers that I work with will be more successful.  Couple
    > of
    > > the things I am curious about is testing and currency with Tomcat:
    > > How does TomEE get tested?
    > > What do I need to be concerned about when a new version is released for
    > > testing?
    > > Writing new tests.
    > > How does new versions of Tomcat get tested with TomEE and rolled in to
    > the
    > > product?
    > >
    > > I have been an infrastructure engineer, mainly Linux/UNIX, for over 25
    > > years.  I have worked in the distribution, telecommunications, and
    > > financial services industries.
    > >
    > > Please let me know the best way I can fit in and help.
    > >
    > > Thank you,
    > > Rod Jenkins
    > >
    >
    >
    > --
    > *Att.*
    >
    > Alex Rabelo Ferreira
    > Mestre em Ciências da Computação INF/UFG
    >
    > *"Os grandes feitos são conseguidos não pela força, mas pela perseverança"
    > - *Samuel Johnson

    César Hernández.

Re: Re: How can I help?

Cesar Hernandez
Hi Rod.

However, according to this doc, "Tomcat 7.x installation" is what you would
> use as a base.  I am thinking that is outdated.  Am I correct?

Can you please share the documentation you are referring to please. If it's
this one [1], then yes, it's outdated. PR's more than welcome :).

About your question, the way I quickly find the exact tomcat version a
specific TomEE uses, I look at the release.
For example for TomEE 7.1.0:
I go to https://github.com/apache/tomee/releases and select the version of
TomEE you are looking for and I navigate to the commit to see the pom.xml
file:
https://github.com/apache/tomee/blob/8c6358cca46e431df78fc9c7d818259a9ba8635b/pom.xml#L135

Hope this helps.

César Hernández.