Getting spammed a "guru"

James Green
So I just got an email from "Apache TomEE Support" claiming to offer
professional support with a 20% discount. The from address is a
yahoo.comaccount allegedly owned by "Java EE Guru Gurkan Erdogdu".

I have no idea how he or his organisation have my address but apparently
I've shown an interest in the product and I can manage my mailing list
preferences.

Posting here slightly alarmed in case someone is monitoring this list and
adding address found. I'm willing to be proven wrong of course. Any others
receiving such emails?

Thanks,

James

Re: Getting spammed a "guru"

Romain Manni-Bucau
Got it too but didnt get why :(.
Romain Manni-Bucau
Twitter: @rmannibucau
Blog: http://rmannibucau.wordpress.com/
Github: https://github.com/rmannibucau

2013/11/13 James Green <[hidden email]>:

> So I just got an email from "Apache TomEE Support" claiming to offer
> professional support with a 20% discount. The from address is a
> yahoo.comaccount allegedly owned by "Java EE Guru Gurkan Erdogdu".
>
> I have no idea how he or his organisation have my address but apparently
> I've shown an interest in the product and I can manage my mailing list
> preferences.
>
> Posting here slightly alarmed in case someone is monitoring this list and
> adding address found. I'm willing to be proven wrong of course. Any others
> receiving such emails?
>
> Thanks,
>
> James

Re: Getting spammed a "guru"

Alex The Rocker
Got spammed too :(

On Wed, Nov 13, 2013 at 2:33 PM, James Green <[hidden email]>wrote:

> So I just got an email from "Apache TomEE Support" claiming to offer
> professional support with a 20% discount. The from address is a
> yahoo.comaccount allegedly owned by "Java EE Guru Gurkan Erdogdu".
>
> I have no idea how he or his organisation have my address but apparently
> I've shown an interest in the product and I can manage my mailing list
> preferences.
>
> Posting here slightly alarmed in case someone is monitoring this list and
> adding address found. I'm willing to be proven wrong of course. Any others
> receiving such emails?
>
> Thanks,
>
> James

Re: Getting spammed a "guru"

jieryn
Me too.

> Any others receiving such emails?

Re: Getting spammed a "guru"

karlkilden
Nope I got the spam as well.

On 13 November 2013 14:33, James Green <[hidden email]> wrote:

> So I just got an email from "Apache TomEE Support" claiming to offer
> professional support with a 20% discount. The from address is a
> yahoo.comaccount allegedly owned by "Java EE Guru Gurkan Erdogdu".
>
> I have no idea how he or his organisation have my address but apparently
> I've shown an interest in the product and I can manage my mailing list
> preferences.
>
> Posting here slightly alarmed in case someone is monitoring this list and
> adding address found. I'm willing to be proven wrong of course. Any others
> receiving such emails?
>
> Thanks,
>
> James

Re: Getting spammed a "guru"

maxtorzito
Me too

2013/11/13 Karl Kildén <[hidden email]>

> Nope I got the spam as well.
>

> On 13 November 2013 14:33, James Green <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > So I just got an email from "Apache TomEE Support" claiming to offer
> > professional support with a 20% discount. The from address is a
> > yahoo.comaccount allegedly owned by "Java EE Guru Gurkan Erdogdu".
> >
> > I have no idea how he or his organisation have my address but apparently
> > I've shown an interest in the product and I can manage my mailing list
> > preferences.
> >
> > Posting here slightly alarmed in case someone is monitoring this list and
> > adding address found. I'm willing to be proven wrong of course. Any
> others
> > receiving such emails?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > James

*SCJA. José Luis Cetina*

Re: Getting spammed a "guru"

Kay Wrobel-2
Yep, me too. Quite annoying.

On 11/13/2013 08:14 AM, José Luis Cetina wrote:

> Me too
>

> 2013/11/13 Karl Kildén <[hidden email]>
>
>> Nope I got the spam as well.
>>

>> On 13 November 2013 14:33, James Green <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> So I just got an email from "Apache TomEE Support" claiming to offer
>>> professional support with a 20% discount. The from address is a
>>> yahoo.comaccount allegedly owned by "Java EE Guru Gurkan Erdogdu".
>>>
>>> I have no idea how he or his organisation have my address but apparently
>>> I've shown an interest in the product and I can manage my mailing list
>>> preferences.
>>>
>>> Posting here slightly alarmed in case someone is monitoring this list and
>>> adding address found. I'm willing to be proven wrong of course. Any
>> others
>>> receiving such emails?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> James

Re: Getting spammed a "guru"

karlkilden
Any guidelines in place by apache regulating these things? Gurkan is PMC
chair for OWB and it's probably legit and all but allowing such things
could potentially get out of it feels like...

On 13 November 2013 15:24, Kay Wrobel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yep, me too. Quite annoying.
>

> On 11/13/2013 08:14 AM, José Luis Cetina wrote:
>
>> Me too
>>

>> 2013/11/13 Karl Kildén <[hidden email]>
>>
>>  Nope I got the spam as well.
>>>

>>> On 13 November 2013 14:33, James Green <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>>  So I just got an email from "Apache TomEE Support" claiming to offer

>>> others

Re: Getting spammed a "guru"

James Green
I don't recall there being a condition allowing my address to be used for
marketing purposes. Again I'm prepared to be proven wrong.

Under British law AIUI this is against the DPA but greyness surrounds of
course.

On 13 November 2013 15:44, Karl Kildén <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Any guidelines in place by apache regulating these things? Gurkan is PMC
> chair for OWB and it's probably legit and all but allowing such things
> could potentially get out of it feels like...
>

> On 13 November 2013 15:24, Kay Wrobel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Yep, me too. Quite annoying.
> >

> > On 11/13/2013 08:14 AM, José Luis Cetina wrote:
> >
> >> Me too
> >>

> >> 2013/11/13 Karl Kildén <[hidden email]>
> >>
> >>  Nope I got the spam as well.

> apparently

Re: Getting spammed a "guru"

Jean-Louis MONTEIRO
Received as well. Looks like Gurkan did a robot to collect users' email
addrsses and used them for this commercial support.
Le 13 nov. 2013 18:26, "James Green" <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> I don't recall there being a condition allowing my address to be used for
> marketing purposes. Again I'm prepared to be proven wrong.
>
> Under British law AIUI this is against the DPA but greyness surrounds of
> course.
>

> On 13 November 2013 15:44, Karl Kildén <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Any guidelines in place by apache regulating these things? Gurkan is PMC
> > chair for OWB and it's probably legit and all but allowing such things
> > could potentially get out of it feels like...
> >

> > On 13 November 2013 15:24, Kay Wrobel <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > Yep, me too. Quite annoying.

> > apparently
> list

> list

Re: Getting spammed a "guru"

Bjorn Danielsson
I got it twice actually. One spam copy was to a non-subscribed
address. So from now on all e-mails from [hidden email]
are permanently routed to /dev/null on my servers.

Bjorn Danielsson
Cuspy Code AB

Re: Getting spammed a "guru"

shikida
+1

[]

Leo

On Wed, Nov 13, 2013 at 4:22 PM, Bjorn Danielsson <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> I got it twice actually. One spam copy was to a non-subscribed
> address. So from now on all e-mails from [hidden email]
> are permanently routed to /dev/null on my servers.
>
> --
> Bjorn Danielsson
> Cuspy Code AB

Re: Getting spammed a "guru"

James Green
If this is the case and he's part of Apache then to whom within Apache do
we complain?

On 13 November 2013 17:55, Jean-Louis MONTEIRO <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Received as well. Looks like Gurkan did a robot to collect users' email
> addrsses and used them for this commercial support.
> Le 13 nov. 2013 18:26, "James Green" <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
> > I don't recall there being a condition allowing my address to be used for
> > marketing purposes. Again I'm prepared to be proven wrong.
> >
> > Under British law AIUI this is against the DPA but greyness surrounds of
> > course.
> >

> > On 13 November 2013 15:44, Karl Kildén <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > Any guidelines in place by apache regulating these things? Gurkan is
> PMC
> > > chair for OWB and it's probably legit and all but allowing such things
> > > could potentially get out of it feels like...

> offer

> > > apparently
> > list

> > list
> Any

Re: Getting spammed a "guru"

James Green
Peering onto the tomcat-users list it seems this was a widespread marketing
attempt and the individual is seemingly attempting to defend his actions.