EAR deployment

rcohen
I seem unable to deploy EARs.    I have set the catalina.policy to:
grant {
        permission java.security.AllPermission;
};

I have set the work directory to "work"  (and at deploy see the exploded
EAR there).

Also I have set deployOnStartup to false, autoDeploy to true, and
unpackWARs to true.

On deploy, at first matters look promising.   It unpacks, initializes my
EJBs, then I get single AccessContorlException (RuntimePermistion),
followed by an infinitely repeating (every 5 seconds or so) access control
exception (FilePermission).

INFO: Created Ejb(deployment-id=CloseEventsBean, ejb-name=CloseEventsBean,
container=Default Singleton Container)
Jun 26, 2018 11:41:40 AM org.apache.openejb.assembler.classic.Assembler
startEjbs
INFO: Created Ejb(deployment-id=ManagerReminderBean,
ejb-name=ManagerReminderBean, container=Default Singleton Container)
Jun 26, 2018 11:41:40 AM sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl invoke
SEVERE: Exception invoking periodic operation:
("java.lang.RuntimePermission" "setContextClassLoader")
        at
java.security.AccessControlContext.checkPermission(AccessControlContext.java:472)
        at
java.security.AccessController.checkPermission(AccessController.java:884)
        at
java.lang.SecurityManager.checkPermission(SecurityManager.java:549)
        at java.lang.Thread.setContextClassLoader(Thread.java:1474)
        at
org.apache.openejb.log.LoggerCreator$Get.exec(LoggerCreator.java:94)
        at
org.apache.openejb.log.LoggerCreator$Get.exec(LoggerCreator.java:105)
        at
org.apache.openejb.util.JuliLogStream.isWarnEnabled(JuliLogStream.java:61)
        at
org.apache.openejb.util.Logger.isWarningEnabled(Logger.java:425)
        at org.apache.openejb.util.Logger.warning(Logger.java:646)
        at
org.apache.tomee.catalina.TomcatWebAppBuilder.checkHost(TomcatWebAppBuilder.java:2233)
        at
org.apache.tomee.catalina.GlobalListenerSupport.lifecycleEvent(GlobalListenerSupport.java:141)
        at
org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleBase.fireLifecycleEvent(LifecycleBase.java:94)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.backgroundProcess(ContainerBase.java:1164)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase$ContainerBackgroundProcessor.processChildren(ContainerBase.java:1388)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase$ContainerBackgroundProcessor.processChildren(ContainerBase.java:1392)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase$ContainerBackgroundProcessor.run(ContainerBase.java:1360)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)

Below is the repeating exception.

Jun 26, 2018 11:41:50 AM sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl invoke
SEVERE: Exception invoking periodic operation:
("java.io.FilePermission" "C:\IBM\liferay\tomee\webapps\ROOT.war" "read")
        at
java.security.AccessControlContext.checkPermission(AccessControlContext.java:472)
        at
java.security.AccessController.checkPermission(AccessController.java:884)
        at
java.lang.SecurityManager.checkPermission(SecurityManager.java:549)
        at java.lang.SecurityManager.checkRead(SecurityManager.java:888)
        at java.io.File.exists(File.java:814)
        at
org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.checkResources(HostConfig.java:1296)
        at
org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.check(HostConfig.java:1623)
        at
org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.lifecycleEvent(HostConfig.java:314)
        at
org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleBase.fireLifecycleEvent(LifecycleBase.java:94)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.backgroundProcess(ContainerBase.java:1164)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase$ContainerBackgroundProcessor.processChildren(ContainerBase.java:1388)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase$ContainerBackgroundProcessor.processChildren(ContainerBase.java:1392)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase$ContainerBackgroundProcessor.run(ContainerBase.java:1360)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)

What am I missing?   I can see that the exception implies additional
permissions, but why doesn't my blanket grant of all permission in the
catalina policy file cover this?

Ross

Confidentiality Notice:
This electronic message and any attachments may contain confidential or
privileged information, and is intended only for the individual or entity
identified above as the addressee. If you are not the addressee (or the
employee or agent responsible to deliver it to the addressee), or if this
message has been addressed to you in error, you are hereby notified that
you may not copy, forward, disclose or use any part of this message or any
attachments. Please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail or
telephone and delete this message from your system.

Re: EAR deployment

What version of TomEE are you running?

Are you deploying your EAR from webapps, or from apps with <Deployments
dir="apps" /> added in tomee.xml?

Regards

Jon

On Wed, Jun 27, 2018 at 5:15 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> run(ContainerBase.java:1360)
>

> What am I missing?   I can see that the exception implies additional
> permissions, but why doesn't my blanket grant of all permission in the
> catalina policy file cover this?
>
> Ross
>

> Confidentiality Notice:
> This electronic message and any attachments may contain confidential or
> privileged information, and is intended only for the individual or entity
> identified above as the addressee. If you are not the addressee (or the
> employee or agent responsible to deliver it to the addressee), or if this
> message has been addressed to you in error, you are hereby notified that
> you may not copy, forward, disclose or use any part of this message or any
> attachments. Please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail or
> telephone and delete this message from your system.

I'm running 7.0.4.  I have been deploying to webapps (<Deployments
dir="apps" />   remains commented).

Ross

From:   "Jonathan Gallimore" <[hidden email]>
To:     [hidden email],
Date:   06/27/2018 12:22 PM
Subject:        Re: EAR deployment

Hi

--
BEGIN-ANTISPAM-VOTING-LINKS

Teach CanIt if this mail (ID 01W3QmO1O) is spam:
Spam:
https://milton-web.wnyric.org/canit/b.php?c=s&i=01W3QmO1O&m=2bb7a21db8c9&t=20180627

Not spam:
https://milton-web.wnyric.org/canit/b.php?c=n&i=01W3QmO1O&m=2bb7a21db8c9&t=20180627

Forget vote:
https://milton-web.wnyric.org/canit/b.php?c=f&i=01W3QmO1O&m=2bb7a21db8c9&t=20180627

END-ANTISPAM-VOTING-LINKS

Confidentiality Notice:
This electronic message and any attachments may contain confidential or
privileged information, and is intended only for the individual or entity
identified above as the addressee. If you are not the addressee (or the
employee or agent responsible to deliver it to the addressee), or if this
message has been addressed to you in error, you are hereby notified that
you may not copy, forward, disclose or use any part of this message or any
attachments. Please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail or
telephone and delete this message from your system.

Re: EAR deployment

can you confirm it works without the security manager enabled?

Also can you check connecting on the JVM through JMX that the right policy
file is used and tomcat didn't override the one you thought using?

Le mer. 27 juin 2018 à 19:12, <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> [...]
>
> Not spam:
>
> https://milton-web.wnyric.org/canit/b.php?c=n&i=01W3QmO1O&m=2bb7a21db8c9&t=20180627
>
> Forget vote:
>
> https://milton-web.wnyric.org/canit/b.php?c=f&i=01W3QmO1O&m=2bb7a21db8c9&t=20180627

> END-ANTISPAM-VOTING-LINKS
>

> Confidentiality Notice:
> This electronic message and any attachments may contain confidential or
> privileged information, and is intended only for the individual or entity
> identified above as the addressee. If you are not the addressee (or the
> employee or agent responsible to deliver it to the addressee), or if this
> message has been addressed to you in error, you are hereby notified that
> you may not copy, forward, disclose or use any part of this message or any
> attachments. Please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail or
> telephone and delete this message from your system.

So:

1.   With the security manager disabled, the ear deploys fine, ejb's
instantitiate, initialize, etc -- no errors at all!

2.  I connected to the running jvm with jmx, and poked around for a while,
but could not find where it specified the policy file Tomcat was using.
Can I get a hint as to where this info is?

Thanks,
Ross

From:   "Romain Manni-Bucau" <[hidden email]>
To:     [hidden email],
Date:   06/27/2018 04:54 PM

Hi

can you confirm it works without the security manager enabled?

Also can you check connecting on the JVM through JMX that the right policy
file is used and tomcat didn't override the one you thought using?

Romain Manni-Bucau
@rmannibucau <
https://milton-web.wnyric.org/canit/urlproxy.php?_q=aHR0cHM6Ly90d2l0dGVyLmNvbS9ybWFubmlidWNhdQ%3D%3D&_s=ZXJpZTE%3D&_c=7b6344b3
<
https://milton-web.wnyric.org/canit/urlproxy.php?_q=aHR0cHM6Ly9ybWFubmlidWNhdS5tZXRhd2VyeC5uZXQv&_s=ZXJpZTE%3D&_c=03b3f7d2
<
https://milton-web.wnyric.org/canit/urlproxy.php?_q=aHR0cDovL3JtYW5uaWJ1Y2F1LndvcmRwcmVzcy5jb20%3D&_s=ZXJpZTE%3D&_c=7ac52c4b
> | Github <
https://milton-web.wnyric.org/canit/urlproxy.php?_q=aHR0cHM6Ly9naXRodWIuY29tL3JtYW5uaWJ1Y2F1&_s=ZXJpZTE%3D&_c=d53ffcf9

LinkedIn <
https://milton-web.wnyric.org/canit/urlproxy.php?_q=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cubGlua2VkaW4uY29tL2luL3JtYW5uaWJ1Y2F1&_s=ZXJpZTE%3D&_c=aff046f7
<
https://milton-web.wnyric.org/canit/urlproxy.php?_q=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cucGFja3RwdWIuY29tL2FwcGxpY2F0aW9uLWRldmVsb3BtZW50L2phdmEtZWUtOC1oaWdoLXBlcmZvcm1hbmNl&_s=ZXJpZTE%3D&_c=5ede79c4

> [...]

> Forget vote:

https://milton-web.wnyric.org/canit/b.php?c=f&i=01W3QmO1O&m=2bb7a21db8c9&t=20180627

> END-ANTISPAM-VOTING-LINKS
>

> Confidentiality Notice:
> This electronic message and any attachments may contain confidential or
> privileged information, and is intended only for the individual or
entity
> identified above as the addressee. If you are not the addressee (or the
> employee or agent responsible to deliver it to the addressee), or if
this
> message has been addressed to you in error, you are hereby notified that
> you may not copy, forward, disclose or use any part of this message or
any
> attachments. Please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail or
> telephone and delete this message from your system.

Teach CanIt if this mail (ID 05W3USVJt) is spam:
Spam:
https://milton-web.wnyric.org/canit/b.php?c=s&i=05W3USVJt&m=03c723824a9b&t=20180627

Not spam:
https://milton-web.wnyric.org/canit/b.php?c=n&i=05W3USVJt&m=03c723824a9b&t=20180627

Forget vote:
https://milton-web.wnyric.org/canit/b.php?c=f&i=05W3USVJt&m=03c723824a9b&t=20180627

END-ANTISPAM-VOTING-LINKS

Confidentiality Notice:
This electronic message and any attachments may contain confidential or
privileged information, and is intended only for the individual or entity
identified above as the addressee. If you are not the addressee (or the
employee or agent responsible to deliver it to the addressee), or if this
message has been addressed to you in error, you are hereby notified that
you may not copy, forward, disclose or use any part of this message or any
attachments. Please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail or
telephone and delete this message from your system.

Re: EAR deployment

Romain Manni-Bucau
I think you can check it in the JVM info in system properties (VM Summary)

Le jeu. 28 juin 2018 à 17:19, <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> [...]
>
> Not spam:
>
> https://milton-web.wnyric.org/canit/b.php?c=n&i=05W3USVJt&m=03c723824a9b&t=20180627
>
> Forget vote:
>
> https://milton-web.wnyric.org/canit/b.php?c=f&i=05W3USVJt&m=03c723824a9b&t=20180627

> END-ANTISPAM-VOTING-LINKS
>

> Confidentiality Notice:
> This electronic message and any attachments may contain confidential or
> privileged information, and is intended only for the individual or entity
> identified above as the addressee. If you are not the addressee (or the
> employee or agent responsible to deliver it to the addressee), or if this
> message has been addressed to you in error, you are hereby notified that
> you may not copy, forward, disclose or use any part of this message or any
> attachments. Please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail or
> telephone and delete this message from your system.

Couldn't find it in the summary.   Of course, its there as a VM argument,
but I expect that.   After digging around a bit more I found it in the
MXBeans:  java.lang -> Runtime -> Attributes.

Every thing there is set as it is in the file: ie
java.security.policy=C:\IBM\liferay\tomee\conf\catalina.policy
java.security.manager=<no value>

-- both of which I would expect.

Note that I have not tried chang <Deployments dir="apps" /> in tomee.xml.
Maybe that needs chaning -- though what I have seem really close to
working.

Just occurred to me that I never included my full VM args:

-Dcatalina.base="C:\IBM\liferay\tomee"
-Dcatalina.home="C:\IBM\liferay\tomee"
-Dwtp.deploy="C:\IBM\liferay\tomee\webapps"
-Djava.endorsed.dirs="C:\IBM\liferay\tomee\endorsed"
-Dfile.encoding=UTF8 -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true
-Dorg.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.ENABLE_CLEAR_REFERENCES=false

-Duser.timezone=EST
-Djava.security.manager
-Djava.security.policy="C:\IBM\liferay\tomee\conf\catalina.policy"
-Djava.security.auth.login.config="C:\IBM\liferay\tomee\conf\jaas.config"
-Dwnyric.deployment.properties.directory.path="C:\IBM\liferay"
-Xmx2048m

Thanks,
Ross

From:   "Romain Manni-Bucau" <[hidden email]>
To:     [hidden email],
Date:   06/28/2018 11:20 AM

<
<

<
> [...]

> Forget vote:

https://milton-web.wnyric.org/canit/b.php?c=f&i=05W3USVJt&m=03c723824a9b&t=20180627

> END-ANTISPAM-VOTING-LINKS
>

> Confidentiality Notice:
> This electronic message and any attachments may contain confidential or
> privileged information, and is intended only for the individual or
entity
> identified above as the addressee. If you are not the addressee (or the
> employee or agent responsible to deliver it to the addressee), or if
this
> message has been addressed to you in error, you are hereby notified that
> you may not copy, forward, disclose or use any part of this message or
any
> attachments. Please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail or
> telephone and delete this message from your system.

Teach CanIt if this mail (ID 02W4fkxqC) is spam:
Spam:
https://milton-web.wnyric.org/canit/b.php?c=s&i=02W4fkxqC&m=d2fb064f979c&t=20180628

Not spam:
https://milton-web.wnyric.org/canit/b.php?c=n&i=02W4fkxqC&m=d2fb064f979c&t=20180628

Forget vote:
https://milton-web.wnyric.org/canit/b.php?c=f&i=02W4fkxqC&m=d2fb064f979c&t=20180628

END-ANTISPAM-VOTING-LINKS

Confidentiality Notice:
This electronic message and any attachments may contain confidential or
privileged information, and is intended only for the individual or entity
identified above as the addressee. If you are not the addressee (or the
employee or agent responsible to deliver it to the addressee), or if this
message has been addressed to you in error, you are hereby notified that
you may not copy, forward, disclose or use any part of this message or any
attachments. Please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail or
telephone and delete this message from your system.

Re: EAR deployment

Romain Manni-Bucau
I see

Then it is just a bug and we miss a wrapping to be SM compliant in that
part of the code.

Do you want to submit a PR to fix it?

Le jeu. 28 juin 2018 19:37, <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> [...]
>
> Not spam:
>
> https://milton-web.wnyric.org/canit/b.php?c=n&i=02W4fkxqC&m=d2fb064f979c&t=20180628
>
> Forget vote:
>
> https://milton-web.wnyric.org/canit/b.php?c=f&i=02W4fkxqC&m=d2fb064f979c&t=20180628

> END-ANTISPAM-VOTING-LINKS
>

> Confidentiality Notice:
> This electronic message and any attachments may contain confidential or
> privileged information, and is intended only for the individual or entity
> identified above as the addressee. If you are not the addressee (or the
> employee or agent responsible to deliver it to the addressee), or if this
> message has been addressed to you in error, you are hereby notified that
> you may not copy, forward, disclose or use any part of this message or any
> attachments. Please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail or
> telephone and delete this message from your system.

Not terribly familiar with Git, but I assume you asking me to submit a
pull request that points to a fix?  The short answer is "no".  I would
love to see this fixed, but right now I don't have the time to grok git
(we use svn), set up a build environment for Tomee, pickup maven (we use
ant+ivy), and figure out the actual bug.    If I have to, I will --- but
only God knows how long it will be before I can make the time to do these
things.

But this raises a question: am I really the last person still deploying
EARs?!   Really???

Thanks for your prompt help -- you guys are amazing!
Ross

From:   "Romain Manni-Bucau" <[hidden email]>
To:     [hidden email],
Date:   06/28/2018 04:03 PM

> [...]

> Forget vote:

https://milton-web.wnyric.org/canit/b.php?c=f&i=02W4fkxqC&m=d2fb064f979c&t=20180628

> END-ANTISPAM-VOTING-LINKS
>

> Confidentiality Notice:
> This electronic message and any attachments may contain confidential or
> privileged information, and is intended only for the individual or
entity
> identified above as the addressee. If you are not the addressee (or the
> employee or agent responsible to deliver it to the addressee), or if
this
> message has been addressed to you in error, you are hereby notified that
> you may not copy, forward, disclose or use any part of this message or
any
> attachments. Please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail or
> telephone and delete this message from your system.

Teach CanIt if this mail (ID 05W4k3PHx) is spam:
Spam:
https://milton-web.wnyric.org/canit/b.php?c=s&i=05W4k3PHx&m=4665151ab5c3&t=20180628

Not spam:
https://milton-web.wnyric.org/canit/b.php?c=n&i=05W4k3PHx&m=4665151ab5c3&t=20180628

Forget vote:
https://milton-web.wnyric.org/canit/b.php?c=f&i=05W4k3PHx&m=4665151ab5c3&t=20180628

END-ANTISPAM-VOTING-LINKS

Confidentiality Notice:
This electronic message and any attachments may contain confidential or
privileged information, and is intended only for the individual or entity
identified above as the addressee. If you are not the addressee (or the
employee or agent responsible to deliver it to the addressee), or if this
message has been addressed to you in error, you are hereby notified that
you may not copy, forward, disclose or use any part of this message or any
attachments. Please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail or
telephone and delete this message from your system.

Re: EAR deployment

Romain Manni-Bucau
ears probably not (but you are not that numerous anymore ;)) but with a
security manager is more the criteria here IMHO.

Le ven. 29 juin 2018 à 16:44, <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> [...]
>
> Not spam:
>
> https://milton-web.wnyric.org/canit/b.php?c=n&i=05W4k3PHx&m=4665151ab5c3&t=20180628
>
> Forget vote:
>
> https://milton-web.wnyric.org/canit/b.php?c=f&i=05W4k3PHx&m=4665151ab5c3&t=20180628

> END-ANTISPAM-VOTING-LINKS
>

> Confidentiality Notice:
> This electronic message and any attachments may contain confidential or
> privileged information, and is intended only for the individual or entity
> identified above as the addressee. If you are not the addressee (or the
> employee or agent responsible to deliver it to the addressee), or if this
> message has been addressed to you in error, you are hereby notified that
> you may not copy, forward, disclose or use any part of this message or any
> attachments. Please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail or
> telephone and delete this message from your system.

jgallimore
I'll take a look - will be early next week before I can get to it.

Jon