Another 8.0.0 milestone release

David Blevins-2
There are plans to launch start.microprofile.io on January 29th.  We have a lot more MicroProfile support in master than we do in 8.0.0-M1.

What do we think about shooting out an 8.0.0-M2 asap and ensuring it's in the server list for start.microprofile.io?

--
David Blevins
http://twitter.com/dblevins

Re: Another 8.0.0 milestone release

Cesar Hernandez
I have never done a TomEE release but I'm willing to learn during 8.0.0-M2
release :)

El mar., 22 ene. 2019 a las 19:59, David Blevins (<[hidden email]>)
escribió:

> There are plans to launch start.microprofile.io on January 29th.  We have
> a lot more MicroProfile support in master than we do in 8.0.0-M1.
>
> What do we think about shooting out an 8.0.0-M2 asap and ensuring it's in
> the server list for start.microprofile.io?
>

> --
> David Blevins
> http://twitter.com/dblevins

César Hernández Mendoza.

Re: Another 8.0.0 milestone release

Jean-Louis MONTEIRO
Sounds good to me.

Le mer. 23 janv. 2019 à 04:23, César Hernández Mendoza <[hidden email]>
a écrit :

> I have never done a TomEE release but I'm willing to learn during 8.0.0-M2
> release :)
>
> El mar., 22 ene. 2019 a las 19:59, David Blevins (<[hidden email]
> >)
> escribió:
>
> > There are plans to launch start.microprofile.io on January 29th.  We
> have
> > a lot more MicroProfile support in master than we do in 8.0.0-M1.
> >
> > What do we think about shooting out an 8.0.0-M2 asap and ensuring it's in
> > the server list for start.microprofile.io?
> >

> > --
> > David Blevins
> > http://twitter.com/dblevins
> > http://www.tomitribe.com
> >

> --
> Atentamente:
> César Hernández Mendoza.

Re: Another 8.0.0 milestone release

Gurkan Erdogdu-5
+1
Gurkan

On Wed, Jan 23, 2019 at 10:17 AM Jean-Louis Monteiro <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sounds good to me.
>
> Le mer. 23 janv. 2019 à 04:23, César Hernández Mendoza <
> [hidden email]>
> a écrit :
>
> > I have never done a TomEE release but I'm willing to learn during
> 8.0.0-M2
> > release :)
> >
> > El mar., 22 ene. 2019 a las 19:59, David Blevins (<
> [hidden email]
> > >)
> > escribió:
> >
> > > There are plans to launch start.microprofile.io on January 29th.  We
> > have
> > > a lot more MicroProfile support in master than we do in 8.0.0-M1.
> > >
> > > What do we think about shooting out an 8.0.0-M2 asap and ensuring it's
> in
> > > the server list for start.microprofile.io?
> > >

> > > --
> > > David Blevins
> > > http://twitter.com/dblevins
> > > http://www.tomitribe.com
> > >

> > --
> > Atentamente:
> > César Hernández Mendoza.

Re: Another 8.0.0 milestone release

Daniel Cunha-2
Sounds good to me as well.
+1

Daniel "soro" Cunha
https://twitter.com/dvlc_

Re: Another 8.0.0 milestone release

Roberto Cortez
There are a few MP issues that we need to sort out regarding plume and plus (if we want to push MP into plus and plume). I’ll explain those in the other thread. We need to fix them or drop plus and plume support for this release.

> On 23 Jan 2019, at 10:14, Daniel Cunha <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Sounds good to me as well.
> +1
>
> Em qua, 23 de jan de 2019 às 05:46, Gurkan Erdogdu <[hidden email]>
> escreveu:
>
>> +1
>> Gurkan
>>
>> On Wed, Jan 23, 2019 at 10:17 AM Jean-Louis Monteiro <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Sounds good to me.
>>>
>>> Le mer. 23 janv. 2019 à 04:23, César Hernández Mendoza <
>>> [hidden email]>

>>> 8.0.0-M2

>>> [hidden email]

>> it's
>>> in

> --
> Daniel "soro" Cunha
> https://twitter.com/dvlc_

Re: Another 8.0.0 milestone release

Otávio Gonçalves de Santana
+1

On Wed, Jan 23, 2019 at 8:48 AM Roberto Cortez <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> There are a few MP issues that we need to sort out regarding plume and
> plus (if we want to push MP into plus and plume). I’ll explain those in the
> other thread. We need to fix them or drop plus and plume support for this
> release.
>
> > On 23 Jan 2019, at 10:14, Daniel Cunha <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Sounds good to me as well.
> > +1
> >
> > Em qua, 23 de jan de 2019 às 05:46, Gurkan Erdogdu <[hidden email]>
> > escreveu:
> >
> >> +1
> >> Gurkan

> >> it's

> > --
> > Daniel "soro" Cunha
> > https://twitter.com/dvlc_

Re: Another 8.0.0 milestone release

brunobat

Bruno Baptista
https://twitter.com/brunobat_

On 23/01/19 01:59, David Blevins wrote:
> There are plans to launch start.microprofile.io on January 29th.  We have a lot more MicroProfile support in master than we do in 8.0.0-M1.
>
> What do we think about shooting out an 8.0.0-M2 asap and ensuring it's in the server list for start.microprofile.io?

Re: Another 8.0.0 milestone release

Frankie
I like the idea.
+1

Frankie

Sent from: http://tomee-openejb.979440.n4.nabble.com/TomEE-Dev-f982480.html

Re: Another 8.0.0 milestone release

ivanjunckes
+1

On Wed, Jan 23, 2019 at 11:56 AM Frankie <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I like the idea.
> +1
>
> Frankie

> http://tomee-openejb.979440.n4.nabble.com/TomEE-Dev-f982480.html

Re: Another 8.0.0 milestone release

Wiesner, Martin
Hi all,

+1

Pls, also keep the release of 7.1.x (x=1) in mind, as the Java 11 out-of-the-box experience is crucial for many users in the community.

Best Martin

smime.p7s (3K) Download Attachment

Re: Another 8.0.0 milestone release

Thank you for volunteering, Cesar.

Roberto, you did the last 8.0.0-M1 release.  Do you want to take the lead and pull in Cesar (on the list of course) and get some binaries we can vote on tomorrow?  We can yank the MP support in Plus and Plume and hold that for 8.0.0-next.

I'd say skip the previews and go straight to vote.  Everyone is enthusiastically supportive.

Timeline wise, it takes 72 hours for a vote, 24 hours for things to replication across the mirror system.  So that's 4 days.  If we want something ready to go the morning of the 29th, we need vote up Friday Morning at the very latest.

If we do pull this off, it'll be fantastic as 8.0.0-M1 was October.  Since then we've had 40 new contributors and more commits than we've ever had... in the entire history... of the project... ever. :)

Let's get our hard work released!

--
David Blevins
http://twitter.com/dblevins

> On Jan 22, 2019, at 7:16 PM, César Hernández Mendoza <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I have never done a TomEE release but I'm willing to learn during 8.0.0-M2
> release :)
>
> El mar., 22 ene. 2019 a las 19:59, David Blevins (<[hidden email]>)
> escribió:
>
>> There are plans to launch start.microprofile.io on January 29th.  We have
>> a lot more MicroProfile support in master than we do in 8.0.0-M1.
>>
>> What do we think about shooting out an 8.0.0-M2 asap and ensuring it's in
>> the server list for start.microprofile.io?
>>

>> --
>> David Blevins
>> http://twitter.com/dblevins
>> http://www.tomitribe.com
>>

> --
> Atentamente:
> César Hernández Mendoza.

Re: Another 8.0.0 milestone release

Roberto Cortez
Hey César,

Here are some instructions about the TomEE release process:
http://tomee.apache.org/dev/release-tomee.html <http://tomee.apache.org/dev/release-tomee.html>

Since this is a Milestone release, we can skip a few steps.

Latest build bot seems fine:
https://ci.apache.org/builders/tomee-trunk-ubuntu-jvm8 <https://ci.apache.org/builders/tomee-trunk-ubuntu-jvm8>

Generate a key for yourself to sign the binaries. And use maven release plugin with the apache profile to build the binaries. Lets see how it goes.

Cheers,
Roberto

> On 24 Jan 2019, at 01:19, David Blevins <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Thank you for volunteering, Cesar.
>
> Roberto, you did the last 8.0.0-M1 release.  Do you want to take the lead and pull in Cesar (on the list of course) and get some binaries we can vote on tomorrow?  We can yank the MP support in Plus and Plume and hold that for 8.0.0-next.
>
> I'd say skip the previews and go straight to vote.  Everyone is enthusiastically supportive.
>
> Timeline wise, it takes 72 hours for a vote, 24 hours for things to replication across the mirror system.  So that's 4 days.  If we want something ready to go the morning of the 29th, we need vote up Friday Morning at the very latest.
>
> If we do pull this off, it'll be fantastic as 8.0.0-M1 was October.  Since then we've had 40 new contributors and more commits than we've ever had... in the entire history... of the project... ever. :)
>
> Let's get our hard work released!
>

> --
> David Blevins
> http://twitter.com/dblevins
> http://www.tomitribe.com
>
>> On Jan 22, 2019, at 7:16 PM, César Hernández Mendoza <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I have never done a TomEE release but I'm willing to learn during 8.0.0-M2
>> release :)
>>
>> El mar., 22 ene. 2019 a las 19:59, David Blevins (<[hidden email]>)
>> escribió:
>>
>>> There are plans to launch start.microprofile.io on January 29th.  We have
>>> a lot more MicroProfile support in master than we do in 8.0.0-M1.
>>>
>>> What do we think about shooting out an 8.0.0-M2 asap and ensuring it's in
>>> the server list for start.microprofile.io?
>>>

>>> --
>>> David Blevins
>>> http://twitter.com/dblevins
>>> http://www.tomitribe.com
>>>

>> --
>> Atentamente:
>> César Hernández Mendoza.

Re: Another 8.0.0 milestone release

David Blevins-2
Note Cesar can help, but can't actually put binaries up for a vote.

Is there a committer willing to put binaries up for a vote today or tomorrow?

--
David Blevins
http://twitter.com/dblevins

> On Jan 24, 2019, at 2:51 AM, Roberto Cortez <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hey César,
>
> Here are some instructions about the TomEE release process:
> http://tomee.apache.org/dev/release-tomee.html <http://tomee.apache.org/dev/release-tomee.html>
>
> Since this is a Milestone release, we can skip a few steps.
>
> Latest build bot seems fine:
> https://ci.apache.org/builders/tomee-trunk-ubuntu-jvm8 <https://ci.apache.org/builders/tomee-trunk-ubuntu-jvm8>
>
> Generate a key for yourself to sign the binaries. And use maven release plugin with the apache profile to build the binaries. Lets see how it goes.
>
> Cheers,
> Roberto
>
>> On 24 Jan 2019, at 01:19, David Blevins <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Thank you for volunteering, Cesar.
>>
>> Roberto, you did the last 8.0.0-M1 release.  Do you want to take the lead and pull in Cesar (on the list of course) and get some binaries we can vote on tomorrow?  We can yank the MP support in Plus and Plume and hold that for 8.0.0-next.
>>
>> I'd say skip the previews and go straight to vote.  Everyone is enthusiastically supportive.
>>
>> Timeline wise, it takes 72 hours for a vote, 24 hours for things to replication across the mirror system.  So that's 4 days.  If we want something ready to go the morning of the 29th, we need vote up Friday Morning at the very latest.
>>
>> If we do pull this off, it'll be fantastic as 8.0.0-M1 was October.  Since then we've had 40 new contributors and more commits than we've ever had... in the entire history... of the project... ever. :)
>>
>> Let's get our hard work released!
>>

>> --
>> David Blevins
>> http://twitter.com/dblevins
>> http://www.tomitribe.com
>>
>>> On Jan 22, 2019, at 7:16 PM, César Hernández Mendoza <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> I have never done a TomEE release but I'm willing to learn during 8.0.0-M2
>>> release :)

>>> --
>>> Atentamente:
>>> César Hernández Mendoza.

Re: Another 8.0.0 milestone release

> On Jan 23, 2019, at 2:48 AM, Roberto Cortez <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> There are a few MP issues that we need to sort out regarding plume and plus (if we want to push MP into plus and plume). I’ll explain those in the other thread. We need to fix them or drop plus and plume support for this release.

I've made a branch so we could yank MP from Plume and Plus there and release from that (leaving master with MP in Plume and Plus):

 - https://github.com/apache/tomee/pull/new/tomee-8.0.0-M2-prepare

I'm not sure what the steps are however for yanking MP from Plume and Plus.

Re: Another 8.0.0 milestone release

Roberto Cortez
I was already expecting to do it. Yes, maybe it was not completely clear form my last email. I will help César on anyone else for that matter to perform the next release.

I was waiting for César to have a chance to respond and to move forward with the steps he can perform on his own, mainly the maven release, but so far no response.

> On 24 Jan 2019, at 20:43, David Blevins <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Note Cesar can help, but can't actually put binaries up for a vote.
>
> Is there a committer willing to put binaries up for a vote today or tomorrow?
>

> --
> David Blevins
> http://twitter.com/dblevins
> http://www.tomitribe.com
>
>> On Jan 24, 2019, at 2:51 AM, Roberto Cortez <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hey César,
>>
>> Here are some instructions about the TomEE release process:
>> http://tomee.apache.org/dev/release-tomee.html <http://tomee.apache.org/dev/release-tomee.html>
>>
>> Since this is a Milestone release, we can skip a few steps.
>>
>> Latest build bot seems fine:
>> https://ci.apache.org/builders/tomee-trunk-ubuntu-jvm8 <https://ci.apache.org/builders/tomee-trunk-ubuntu-jvm8>
>>
>> Generate a key for yourself to sign the binaries. And use maven release plugin with the apache profile to build the binaries. Lets see how it goes.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Roberto
>>
>>> On 24 Jan 2019, at 01:19, David Blevins <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Thank you for volunteering, Cesar.
>>>
>>> Roberto, you did the last 8.0.0-M1 release.  Do you want to take the lead and pull in Cesar (on the list of course) and get some binaries we can vote on tomorrow?  We can yank the MP support in Plus and Plume and hold that for 8.0.0-next.
>>>
>>> I'd say skip the previews and go straight to vote.  Everyone is enthusiastically supportive.
>>>
>>> Timeline wise, it takes 72 hours for a vote, 24 hours for things to replication across the mirror system.  So that's 4 days.  If we want something ready to go the morning of the 29th, we need vote up Friday Morning at the very latest.
>>>
>>> If we do pull this off, it'll be fantastic as 8.0.0-M1 was October.  Since then we've had 40 new contributors and more commits than we've ever had... in the entire history... of the project... ever. :)
>>>
>>> Let's get our hard work released!
>>>

>>> --
>>> David Blevins
>>> http://twitter.com/dblevins
>>> http://www.tomitribe.com

Re: Another 8.0.0 milestone release

Roberto Cortez
There is no need. The Plus and Plume MP support were already out and work was being done on another PR. There has been some interest in the community and some emails since M1 asking for it. If the community prefers to do a M2 release now and postpone the Plus and Plume support we can do it.

> On 24 Jan 2019, at 22:53, David Blevins <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Jan 23, 2019, at 2:48 AM, Roberto Cortez <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> There are a few MP issues that we need to sort out regarding plume and plus (if we want to push MP into plus and plume). I’ll explain those in the other thread. We need to fix them or drop plus and plume support for this release.
>
> I've made a branch so we could yank MP from Plume and Plus there and release from that (leaving master with MP in Plume and Plus):
>
> - https://github.com/apache/tomee/pull/new/tomee-8.0.0-M2-prepare
>
> I'm not sure what the steps are however for yanking MP from Plume and Plus.

Re: Another 8.0.0 milestone release

David Blevins-2
> On Jan 24, 2019, at 3:26 PM, Roberto Cortez <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> There is no need. The Plus and Plume MP support were already out and work was being done on another PR. There has been some interest in the community and some emails since M1 asking for it. If the community prefers to do a M2 release now and postpone the Plus and Plume support we can do it.

We'd need to get a vote up tomorrow morning US / mid-day Europe for TomEE-8.0.0-M2 to make the 29th start.microprofile.io launch.

Would the PR be ready by then?

(note, if not we can always cut another milestone immediately afterwards)

Re: Another 8.0.0 milestone release

Roberto Cortez
At the moment, I’m down to 4 failing tests to fix. The issue is that sometimes I fix one and then break something else :D

So, to be on the safe side, and if we want a release now we need to leave this one out.

> On 24 Jan 2019, at 23:36, David Blevins <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Jan 24, 2019, at 3:26 PM, Roberto Cortez <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> There is no need. The Plus and Plume MP support were already out and work was being done on another PR. There has been some interest in the community and some emails since M1 asking for it. If the community prefers to do a M2 release now and postpone the Plus and Plume support we can do it.
>
> We'd need to get a vote up tomorrow morning US / mid-day Europe for TomEE-8.0.0-M2 to make the 29th start.microprofile.io launch.
>
> Would the PR be ready by then?
>
> (note, if not we can always cut another milestone immediately afterwards)

Re: Another 8.0.0 milestone release

Roberto Cortez
Well since César didn’t respond to this yet, I’ll move forward with the release myself to see if we can have this on time.

Please, don’t do any additional commits or merge PR’s. I’ve seen that some PR’s were merged yesterday after we announced that we were moving forward with the release.

Thank you!

12