About TomEE 7.x specification supported clarification

About TomEE 7.x specification supported clarification

Franos13
Hello,

If I refer to http://tomee.apache.org/comparison.html , it seems that, for TomEE 7.x, JBatch and Concurrency Utilities for EE are available even if those specifications aren't included in the Java EE Web Profile, right ?

*         JBatch is available in TomEE Plus, right ?

*         Concurrency Utilities for EE is available in TomEE web profile, right ?

In such case, we could say that TomEE Plus is more or less Java EE full profile compliant. As web socket in included in Tomcat, what are the missing specifications in TomEE Plus which prevent this version to not be Full profile compliant ?

Best Regards.
________________________________

Re: About TomEE 7.x specification supported clarification

yann.blazart@bycode.fr
Hello.

TomEE is not certified, but it's a full EE! More than weblogic 12.2.1,
trust me :)

I imagine that certification process is complicated or cost a much.

Le 3 mars 2017 12:45 PM, "COURTAULT Francois" <
[hidden email]> a écrit :

> Hello,
>
> If I refer to http://tomee.apache.org/comparison.html , it seems that,
> for TomEE 7.x, JBatch and Concurrency Utilities for EE are available even
> if those specifications aren't included in the Java EE Web Profile, right ?
>
> *         JBatch is available in TomEE Plus, right ?
>
> *         Concurrency Utilities for EE is available in TomEE web profile,
> right ?
>
> In such case, we could say that TomEE Plus is more or less Java EE full
> profile compliant. As web socket in included in Tomcat, what are the
> missing specifications in TomEE Plus which prevent this version to not be
> Full profile compliant ?
>
> Best Regards.
> ________________________________
> This message and any attachments are intended solely for the addressees
> E-mails are susceptible to alteration. Our company shall not be liable for
> the message if altered, changed or falsified. If you are not the intended
> transmitted virus.

Re: About TomEE 7.x specification supported clarification

Danilo Cominotti Marques
From what I understand, it is only OpenJPA (which is not JPA 2.1 compliant
yet, but rather 2.0) that is holding back the Java EE 7 compliance. The
OpenJPA 3.x series should fix that.

On Fri, Mar 3, 2017 at 9:06 AM, Yann Blazart <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello.
>
> TomEE is not certified, but it's a full EE! More than weblogic 12.2.1,
> trust me :)
>
> I imagine that certification process is complicated or cost a much.
>
> Le 3 mars 2017 12:45 PM, "COURTAULT Francois" <
> [hidden email]> a écrit :
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > If I refer to http://tomee.apache.org/comparison.html , it seems that,
> > for TomEE 7.x, JBatch and Concurrency Utilities for EE are available even
> > if those specifications aren't included in the Java EE Web Profile,
> right ?
> >
> > *         JBatch is available in TomEE Plus, right ?
> >
> > *         Concurrency Utilities for EE is available in TomEE web profile,
> > right ?
> >
> > In such case, we could say that TomEE Plus is more or less Java EE full
> > profile compliant. As web socket in included in Tomcat, what are the
> > missing specifications in TomEE Plus which prevent this version to not be
> > Full profile compliant ?
> >
> > Best Regards.
> > ________________________________
> > This message and any attachments are intended solely for the addressees
> > and may contain confidential information. Any unauthorized use or
> > disclosure, either whole or partial, is prohibited.
> > E-mails are susceptible to alteration. Our company shall not be liable
> for
> > the message if altered, changed or falsified. If you are not the intended
> > recipient of this message, please delete it and notify the sender.
> > Although all reasonable efforts have been made to keep this transmission
> > free from viruses, the sender will not be liable for damages caused by a
> > transmitted virus.

Re: About TomEE 7.x specification supported clarification

that's a bit more complicated

- certification: implies legal process with oracle, we are not there
- EE 7 "compliance"/"support": think except JPA 2.1 with openjpa
distributions we target most of it - with some exceptions on JMS 2 with
ActiveMQ 5.

To answer the original questions both spec s are in tomee plus and
concurrency utilities is in web profile too (cause used internally for EJB
@Asynchronous to make it simple). I'm not sure the point about websocket
which is in all version since tomcat has it.

> From what I understand, it is only OpenJPA (which is not JPA 2.1 compliant
> yet, but rather 2.0) that is holding back the Java EE 7 compliance. The
> OpenJPA 3.x series should fix that.
>
> On Fri, Mar 3, 2017 at 9:06 AM, Yann Blazart <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Hello.
> >
> > TomEE is not certified, but it's a full EE! More than weblogic 12.2.1,
> > trust me :)
> >
> > I imagine that certification process is complicated or cost a much.
> >
> > Le 3 mars 2017 12:45 PM, "COURTAULT Francois" <
> > [hidden email]> a écrit :
> >
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > If I refer to http://tomee.apache.org/comparison.html , it seems that,
> > > for TomEE 7.x, JBatch and Concurrency Utilities for EE are available
> even
> > > if those specifications aren't included in the Java EE Web Profile,
> > right ?
> > >
> > > *         JBatch is available in TomEE Plus, right ?
> > >
> > > *         Concurrency Utilities for EE is available in TomEE web
> profile,
> > > right ?
> > >
> > > In such case, we could say that TomEE Plus is more or less Java EE full
> > > profile compliant. As web socket in included in Tomcat, what are the
> > > missing specifications in TomEE Plus which prevent this version to not
> be
> > > Full profile compliant ?
> > >
> > > Best Regards.
> > > ________________________________
> > > This message and any attachments are intended solely for the addressees
> > > and may contain confidential information. Any unauthorized use or
> > > disclosure, either whole or partial, is prohibited.
> > > E-mails are susceptible to alteration. Our company shall not be liable
> > for
> > > the message if altered, changed or falsified. If you are not the
> intended
> > > recipient of this message, please delete it and notify the sender.
> > > Although all reasonable efforts have been made to keep this
> transmission
> > > free from viruses, the sender will not be liable for damages caused by
> > > transmitted virus.

RE: About TomEE 7.x specification supported clarification

Franos13
Hello,

First, thanks for your feedbacks :-)

Summary for the Full profile compliancy:
       - JMS 2 not implemented in ActiveMQ 5.x, right ? Do you know when JMS 2.0 should be implemented in ActiveMQ  and in which version ?
       - JPA 2.1 not implemented by Open JPA in webprofile and plus TomEE flavors but is implemented in Plume flavor thanks to EclipseLink 6.3, right ?

Best Regards.

- certification: implies legal process with oracle, we are not there
- EE 7 "compliance"/"support": think except JPA 2.1 with openjpa distributions we target most of it - with some exceptions on JMS 2 with ActiveMQ 5.

To answer the original questions both spec s are in tomee plus and concurrency utilities is in web profile too (cause used internally for EJB @Asynchronous to make it simple). I'm not sure the point about websocket which is in all version since tomcat has it.

Romain Manni-Bucau
@rmannibucau <https://twitter.com/rmannibucau> |  Blog <https://blog-rmannibucau.rhcloud.com> | Old Blog <http://rmannibucau.wordpress.com> | Github <https://github.com/rmannibucau> | LinkedIn <https://www.linkedin.com/in/rmannibucau> | JavaEE Factory <https://javaeefactory-rmannibucau.rhcloud.com>

________________________________

[hidden email]>:

> Hello,
>
> First, thanks for your feedbacks :-)
>
> Summary for the Full profile compliancy:
>        - JMS 2 not implemented in ActiveMQ 5.x, right ? Do you know when
> JMS 2.0 should be implemented in ActiveMQ  and in which version ?

in AMQ 5 no but in TomEE we wrapped it to support several features like
JMSContext for instance, AMQ5 will never get it, AMQ 6 has it but has few
link with AMQ 5 (it is another project).

>        - JPA 2.1 not implemented by Open JPA in webprofile and plus TomEE
> flavors but is implemented in Plume flavor thanks to EclipseLink 6.3, right
> ?

Don't think we use 6.3 but answering from memory but it is 2.1 yes

> Best Regards.

Hello Romain,

What are the JMS 2 features not supported in TomEE 7.x version ?
It seems that the successor of ActiveMQ  is ActiveMQ Artemis: do you plan to integrate this version in TomEE ?

Best Regards.

________________________________

________________________________

[hidden email]>:

> Hello Romain,
>

> What are the JMS 2 features not supported in TomEE 7.x version ?

Few advanced programmatic API we can't access that easily but most of it
should work.

> It seems that the successor of ActiveMQ  is ActiveMQ Artemis: do you plan
> to integrate this version in TomEE ?

Was ActiveMQ 5-next, now it is ActiveMQ 6. Think when Fuse got bought by
redhat Artemis got kind of abandonned even if not sure.

> Best Regards.

RE: [+SPAM+]: Re: About TomEE 7.x specification supported clarification

Franos13
Hello Romain,

Focusing on Active MQ future. Active MQ 6.0 was Appolo project (http://activemq.apache.org/new-features-in-60.html) but this one has been unofficially declared dead in July 2015. Then it seems that Artemis could become the next version of Active MQ.
So the future of the underlying JMS TomEE  stuff is unclear :-(

Best Regards.

> What are the JMS 2 features not supported in TomEE 7.x version ?

Few advanced programmatic API we can't access that easily but most of it should work.

> It seems that the successor of ActiveMQ  is ActiveMQ Artemis: do you
> plan to integrate this version in TomEE ?

Was ActiveMQ 5-next, now it is ActiveMQ 6. Think when Fuse got bought by redhat Artemis got kind of abandonned even if not sure.

> Best Regards.

Ok just checked, artemis is the "next" one yes. We'll likely integrate with
it. If possible I'd - I as "me only" - like to be able to plug it
optionally for now to keep AMQ 5 advanced features compat.

[hidden email]>:

> Hello Romain,
>
> Focusing on Active MQ future. Active MQ 6.0 was Appolo project (
> http://activemq.apache.org/new-features-in-60.html) but this one has been
> unofficially declared dead in July 2015. Then it seems that Artemis could
> become the next version of Active MQ.
> So the future of the underlying JMS TomEE  stuff is unclear :-(
>
> Best Regards.

clebertsuconic
There's no other active development (new stuff) on ActiveMQ land other
than ActiveMQ Artemis.

Regardless... It is proving to be a strong broker..   I think you guys
would only gain by supporting it...

And we would welcome interaction.

This thread is a few months old.. so it's probably moot what I'm
saying here.. (I even saw a PR sent yesterday by Jonathan Gallimore..

I'm looking to make it easier for Tomee users to use Artemis. There's
a blog on how to do it.. but it seemed complex (even for me.. I can do
maybe once.. not always). maybe automate the process through a command
in Artemis? have it pre-integrated in Tomee? I'm not sure what are the
options.

Clebert Suconic

Re: [+SPAM+]: Re: About TomEE 7.x specification supported clarification

jgallimore
I agree, it would be great to make this easier. We discussed adding a
command to the Artemis CLI on the ActiveMQ list yesterday, but if there is
no active development on the ActiveMQ that TomEE is currently using, and
presumably its unlikely to see much development in the future, we should
figure out how we're going to migrate to Artemis. Java EE 8 is coming up,
and presumably we'll have a EE 7 maintenance branch and master will be EE 8
- maybe that is the time to change over?

I am happy to look at the Artemis CLI as discussed yesterday, but if the
TomEE community decides to switch over, that might render that work
unnecessary. If the community thinks switching to Artemis is worthwhile,
I'm happy to help hack on that.

Jon