1.6.0

David Blevins-2
2 notes.  There needs to be some communication on the list before starting a release.

On 1.6.0 specifically, I'd like to finish getting the xml stuff switched over before we release 1.6.0

Not the kind of thing I think we should be doing in a maintenance branch or we would have done it in 1.5.2 and don't want to wait for 1.7.0

Re: 1.6.0

David Blevins-2
I'd also like to get the raspberry pi support in better condition and make a huge splash...

-David

On Mar 25, 2013, at 6:46 PM, David Blevins <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 2 notes.  There needs to be some communication on the list before starting a release.
>
> On 1.6.0 specifically, I'd like to finish getting the xml stuff switched over before we release 1.6.0
>
> Not the kind of thing I think we should be doing in a maintenance branch or we would have done it in 1.5.2 and don't want to wait for 1.7.0
>

> -David

dsh

Re: 1.6.0

dsh
I suppose Raspberry Pi support relates to getting TomEE to work on the
Oracle Java SE embedded for ARM platforms [1]? If so I am interested, but
would like to see the task to be extended to ARM platform support for TomEE
including the Raspberry Pi. Frankly, I am not a big fan of all the hype
around Raspberry Pi. There are other, great boards such as the beagle board
that actually drives the Ninja Blocks [2], an internet of things device,
where TomEE as well would make great sense.

[1] http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/articles/java/raspberrypi-1704896.html
[2] http://ninjablocks.com/

Cheers
Daniel

On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 7:48 PM, David Blevins <[hidden email]>wrote:

> I'd also like to get the raspberry pi support in better condition and make
> a huge splash...
>
> -David
>
> On Mar 25, 2013, at 6:46 PM, David Blevins <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > 2 notes.  There needs to be some communication on the list before
> starting a release.
> >
> > On 1.6.0 specifically, I'd like to finish getting the xml stuff switched
> over before we release 1.6.0
> >
> > Not the kind of thing I think we should be doing in a maintenance branch
> or we would have done it in 1.5.2 and don't want to wait for 1.7.0
> >

> > -David

Re: 1.6.0

Hi David,

was waiting tck setup to be fixed to send a mail with some info.

honestly we have no choices, the 1.6.0 brings new changes needed for a
bunch of apps (we should have them for at least 2 months!)

waiting one more week is not an option (or we need to backport almost the
whole release note to 1.5.3...)

if you want the xml stuff it can be in 1.6.1 (but honestly David that's
useless, test in real apps, figures shows no more xml). I think 1.6.0 is
the release of real life and not more simple-stateless.

i'm ok to rename 1.6.0 in 1.6.0.RC or whatever but we need to push this out
ASAP

*Romain Manni-Bucau*

2013/3/25 David Blevins <[hidden email]>

> I'd also like to get the raspberry pi support in better condition and make
> a huge splash...
>
> -David
>
> On Mar 25, 2013, at 6:46 PM, David Blevins <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > 2 notes.  There needs to be some communication on the list before
> starting a release.
> >
> > On 1.6.0 specifically, I'd like to finish getting the xml stuff switched
> over before we release 1.6.0
> >
> > Not the kind of thing I think we should be doing in a maintenance branch
> or we would have done it in 1.5.2 and don't want to wait for 1.7.0
> >

> > -David

Re: 1.6.0

Bjorn Danielsson
I actually ran GlassFish v2.1 on a Nokia N900 phone a couple of
years ago, on OpenJDK for ARM. It was horribly slow, TomEE would
be a breeze in comparison :)

--
Bjorn Danielsson
Cuspy Code AB

dsh <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I suppose Raspberry Pi support relates to getting TomEE to work on the
> Oracle Java SE embedded for ARM platforms [1]? If so I am interested, but
> would like to see the task to be extended to ARM platform support for TomEE
> including the Raspberry Pi. Frankly, I am not a big fan of all the hype
> around Raspberry Pi. There are other, great boards such as the beagle board
> that actually drives the Ninja Blocks [2], an internet of things device,
> where TomEE as well would make great sense.
>
> [1] http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/articles/java/raspberrypi-1704896.html
> [2] http://ninjablocks.com/
>
> Cheers
> Daniel
>

> On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 7:48 PM, David Blevins <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
>> I'd also like to get the raspberry pi support in better condition and make
>> a huge splash...
>>
>> -David
>>
>> On Mar 25, 2013, at 6:46 PM, David Blevins <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>> > 2 notes.  There needs to be some communication on the list before
>> starting a release.
>> >
>> > On 1.6.0 specifically, I'd like to finish getting the xml stuff switched
>> over before we release 1.6.0
>> >
>> > Not the kind of thing I think we should be doing in a maintenance branch
>> or we would have done it in 1.5.2 and don't want to wait for 1.7.0
>> >

>> > -David

Re: 1.6.0

Romain Manni-Bucau
@David: any idea when you'll do the xml stuff? basically i can wait the end
of the week but no more (> 3 months, a bunch of rewrite about classloaders,
serialization etc, nothing we can put in 1.5.x but absolutely mandatory for
a bunch of use cases).

*Romain Manni-Bucau*

2013/3/25 Bjorn Danielsson <[hidden email]>

> I actually ran GlassFish v2.1 on a Nokia N900 phone a couple of
> years ago, on OpenJDK for ARM. It was horribly slow, TomEE would
> be a breeze in comparison :)
>
> --
> Bjorn Danielsson
> Cuspy Code AB
>

> dsh <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I suppose Raspberry Pi support relates to getting TomEE to work on the
> > Oracle Java SE embedded for ARM platforms [1]? If so I am interested, but
> > would like to see the task to be extended to ARM platform support for
> TomEE
> > including the Raspberry Pi. Frankly, I am not a big fan of all the hype
> > around Raspberry Pi. There are other, great boards such as the beagle
> board
> > that actually drives the Ninja Blocks [2], an internet of things device,
> > where TomEE as well would make great sense.
> >
> > [1]
> http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/articles/java/raspberrypi-1704896.html
> > [2] http://ninjablocks.com/
> >
> > Cheers
> > Daniel
> >

> > On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 7:48 PM, David Blevins <[hidden email]
> >wrote:
> >
> >> I'd also like to get the raspberry pi support in better condition and
> make
> >> a huge splash...
> >>
> >> -David

> >> starting a release.

> switched
> >> over before we release 1.6.0

> branch
> >> or we would have done it in 1.5.2 and don't want to wait for 1.7.0

Re: 1.6.0

Right.  It runs on a Raspberry PI now and runs significantly faster with the xml changes.  I'd like to get it through a full TCK run and actually announce "TomEE certified on a Raspberry PI".  I have gotten it pretty close to complete, but several chunks of tests timeout as that platform is a little slow.

-David

On Mar 25, 2013, at 6:59 PM, dsh <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I suppose Raspberry Pi support relates to getting TomEE to work on the
> Oracle Java SE embedded for ARM platforms [1]? If so I am interested, but
> would like to see the task to be extended to ARM platform support for TomEE
> including the Raspberry Pi. Frankly, I am not a big fan of all the hype
> around Raspberry Pi. There are other, great boards such as the beagle board
> that actually drives the Ninja Blocks [2], an internet of things device,
> where TomEE as well would make great sense.
>
> [1] http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/articles/java/raspberrypi-1704896.html
> [2] http://ninjablocks.com/
>
> Cheers
> Daniel
>

> On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 7:48 PM, David Blevins <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
>> I'd also like to get the raspberry pi support in better condition and make
>> a huge splash...
>>
>> -David
>>
>> On Mar 25, 2013, at 6:46 PM, David Blevins <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> 2 notes.  There needs to be some communication on the list before
>> starting a release.
>>>
>>> On 1.6.0 specifically, I'd like to finish getting the xml stuff switched
>> over before we release 1.6.0
>>>
>>> Not the kind of thing I think we should be doing in a maintenance branch
>> or we would have done it in 1.5.2 and don't want to wait for 1.7.0
>>>

>>> -David

Re: 1.6.0

I think calling beta as we've done for other releases is fine.  That should give more time for community discussion on a final and still get you the release you seem to need.

In the future know that starting a release and then consulting the list is not the right order.  We'll chalk this up as an honest mistake, try to do better next time, and do our best to help you meet your 1 week urgent deadline this time.

A general note to everyone.  If anyone (committer or user) has a deadline where TomEE is a factor, I highly encourage notifying the list in advance of the "due date".  As much as we'd like to have frequent enough releases to where this is not needed, we're not there yet.

2 weeks or less is too short.  A month or more is good.

-David

On Mar 25, 2013, at 10:29 PM, Romain Manni-Bucau <[hidden email]> wrote:

> @David: any idea when you'll do the xml stuff? basically i can wait the end
> of the week but no more (> 3 months, a bunch of rewrite about classloaders,
> serialization etc, nothing we can put in 1.5.x but absolutely mandatory for
> a bunch of use cases).
>
> *Romain Manni-Bucau*
> *Blog: **http://rmannibucau.wordpress.com/*<http://rmannibucau.wordpress.com/>
>

> 2013/3/25 Bjorn Danielsson <[hidden email]>
>
>> I actually ran GlassFish v2.1 on a Nokia N900 phone a couple of
>> years ago, on OpenJDK for ARM. It was horribly slow, TomEE would
>> be a breeze in comparison :)
>>
>> --
>> Bjorn Danielsson
>> Cuspy Code AB
>>

>> dsh <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> I suppose Raspberry Pi support relates to getting TomEE to work on the
>>> Oracle Java SE embedded for ARM platforms [1]? If so I am interested, but
>>> would like to see the task to be extended to ARM platform support for
>> TomEE
>>> including the Raspberry Pi. Frankly, I am not a big fan of all the hype
>>> around Raspberry Pi. There are other, great boards such as the beagle
>> board
>>> that actually drives the Ninja Blocks [2], an internet of things device,
>>> where TomEE as well would make great sense.
>>>
>>> [1]
>> http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/articles/java/raspberrypi-1704896.html
>>> [2] http://ninjablocks.com/
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>> Daniel

>> make

>> switched

>> branch

Re: 1.6.0

Romain Manni-Bucau
Great David, thks.

So do we plan the 1.6.0.Final next month with next tomcat?
Le 26 mars 2013 00:46, "David Blevins" <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> I think calling beta as we've done for other releases is fine.  That
> should give more time for community discussion on a final and still get you
> the release you seem to need.
>
> In the future know that starting a release and then consulting the list is
> not the right order.  We'll chalk this up as an honest mistake, try to do
> better next time, and do our best to help you meet your 1 week urgent
> deadline this time.
>
> A general note to everyone.  If anyone (committer or user) has a deadline
> where TomEE is a factor, I highly encourage notifying the list in advance
> of the "due date".  As much as we'd like to have frequent enough releases
> to where this is not needed, we're not there yet.
>
> 2 weeks or less is too short.  A month or more is good.
>

> -David
>
> On Mar 25, 2013, at 10:29 PM, Romain Manni-Bucau <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > @David: any idea when you'll do the xml stuff? basically i can wait the
> end
> > of the week but no more (> 3 months, a bunch of rewrite about
> classloaders,
> > serialization etc, nothing we can put in 1.5.x but absolutely mandatory
> for
> > a bunch of use cases).
> >
> > *Romain Manni-Bucau*
> > *Twitter: @rmannibucau <https://twitter.com/rmannibucau>*
> > *Blog: **http://rmannibucau.wordpress.com/*<
> http://rmannibucau.wordpress.com/>
> > *LinkedIn: **http://fr.linkedin.com/in/rmannibucau*
> > *Github: https://github.com/rmannibucau*
> >

> > 2013/3/25 Bjorn Danielsson <[hidden email]>
> >
> >> I actually ran GlassFish v2.1 on a Nokia N900 phone a couple of
> >> years ago, on OpenJDK for ARM. It was horribly slow, TomEE would
> >> be a breeze in comparison :)
> >>
> >> --
> >> Bjorn Danielsson
> >> Cuspy Code AB

> but
> >> TomEE
> >> board
> device,

> http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/articles/java/raspberrypi-1704896.html

> [hidden email]

> >> make

> >> switched

> >> branch

Re: 1.6.0

Not this week.  Speaking on TomEE at DevoxxUK tomorrow, at DevoxxFR Thursday and ConFess in Vienna next week.

-David

On Mar 25, 2013, at 10:29 PM, Romain Manni-Bucau <[hidden email]> wrote:

> @David: any idea when you'll do the xml stuff? basically i can wait the end
> of the week but no more (> 3 months, a bunch of rewrite about classloaders,
> serialization etc, nothing we can put in 1.5.x but absolutely mandatory for
> a bunch of use cases).
>
> *Romain Manni-Bucau*
> *Blog: **http://rmannibucau.wordpress.com/*<http://rmannibucau.wordpress.com/>
>

> 2013/3/25 Bjorn Danielsson <[hidden email]>
>
>> I actually ran GlassFish v2.1 on a Nokia N900 phone a couple of
>> years ago, on OpenJDK for ARM. It was horribly slow, TomEE would
>> be a breeze in comparison :)
>>
>> --
>> Bjorn Danielsson
>> Cuspy Code AB
>>

>> dsh <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> I suppose Raspberry Pi support relates to getting TomEE to work on the
>>> Oracle Java SE embedded for ARM platforms [1]? If so I am interested, but
>>> would like to see the task to be extended to ARM platform support for
>> TomEE
>>> including the Raspberry Pi. Frankly, I am not a big fan of all the hype
>>> around Raspberry Pi. There are other, great boards such as the beagle
>> board
>>> that actually drives the Ninja Blocks [2], an internet of things device,
>>> where TomEE as well would make great sense.
>>>
>>> [1]
>> http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/articles/java/raspberrypi-1704896.html
>>> [2] http://ninjablocks.com/
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>> Daniel

>> make

>> switched

>> branch

Re: 1.6.0

Romain Manni-Bucau
updated the versions

*Romain Manni-Bucau*

2013/3/26 David Blevins <[hidden email]>

> Not this week.  Speaking on TomEE at DevoxxUK tomorrow, at DevoxxFR
> Thursday and ConFess in Vienna next week.
>

> -David
>
> On Mar 25, 2013, at 10:29 PM, Romain Manni-Bucau <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > @David: any idea when you'll do the xml stuff? basically i can wait the
> end
> > of the week but no more (> 3 months, a bunch of rewrite about
> classloaders,
> > serialization etc, nothing we can put in 1.5.x but absolutely mandatory
> for
> > a bunch of use cases).
> >
> > *Romain Manni-Bucau*
> > *Twitter: @rmannibucau <https://twitter.com/rmannibucau>*
> > *Blog: **http://rmannibucau.wordpress.com/*<
> http://rmannibucau.wordpress.com/>
> > *LinkedIn: **http://fr.linkedin.com/in/rmannibucau*
> > *Github: https://github.com/rmannibucau*
> >

> > 2013/3/25 Bjorn Danielsson <[hidden email]>
> >
> >> I actually ran GlassFish v2.1 on a Nokia N900 phone a couple of
> >> years ago, on OpenJDK for ARM. It was horribly slow, TomEE would
> >> be a breeze in comparison :)
> >>
> >> --
> >> Bjorn Danielsson
> >> Cuspy Code AB

> but
> >> TomEE
> >> board
> device,

> http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/articles/java/raspberrypi-1704896.html

> [hidden email]

> >> make

> >> switched

> >> branch

dsh

Re: 1.6.0

dsh
Which Raspberry Pi model do you use?

On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 11:30 PM, David Blevins <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Right.  It runs on a Raspberry PI now and runs significantly faster with
> the xml changes.  I'd like to get it through a full TCK run and actually
> announce "TomEE certified on a Raspberry PI".  I have gotten it pretty
> close to complete, but several chunks of tests timeout as that platform is
> a little slow.
>

> -David
>
> On Mar 25, 2013, at 6:59 PM, dsh <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > I suppose Raspberry Pi support relates to getting TomEE to work on the
> > Oracle Java SE embedded for ARM platforms [1]? If so I am interested, but
> > would like to see the task to be extended to ARM platform support for
> TomEE
> > including the Raspberry Pi. Frankly, I am not a big fan of all the hype
> > around Raspberry Pi. There are other, great boards such as the beagle
> board
> > that actually drives the Ninja Blocks [2], an internet of things device,
> > where TomEE as well would make great sense.
> >
> > [1]
> http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/articles/java/raspberrypi-1704896.html
> > [2] http://ninjablocks.com/
> >
> > Cheers
> > Daniel
> >

> > On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 7:48 PM, David Blevins <[hidden email]
> >wrote:
> >
> >> I'd also like to get the raspberry pi support in better condition and
> make
> >> a huge splash...
> >>
> >> -David

> >> starting a release.

> switched
> >> over before we release 1.6.0

> branch
> >> or we would have done it in 1.5.2 and don't want to wait for 1.7.0

Re: 1.6.0

David Blevins-2
Model B.

-David

On Mar 26, 2013, at 2:15 PM, dsh <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Which Raspberry Pi model do you use?
>

> On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 11:30 PM, David Blevins <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
>> Right.  It runs on a Raspberry PI now and runs significantly faster with
>> the xml changes.  I'd like to get it through a full TCK run and actually
>> announce "TomEE certified on a Raspberry PI".  I have gotten it pretty
>> close to complete, but several chunks of tests timeout as that platform is
>> a little slow.
>>

>> -David
>>
>> On Mar 25, 2013, at 6:59 PM, dsh <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> I suppose Raspberry Pi support relates to getting TomEE to work on the
>>> Oracle Java SE embedded for ARM platforms [1]? If so I am interested, but
>>> would like to see the task to be extended to ARM platform support for
>> TomEE
>>> including the Raspberry Pi. Frankly, I am not a big fan of all the hype
>>> around Raspberry Pi. There are other, great boards such as the beagle
>> board
>>> that actually drives the Ninja Blocks [2], an internet of things device,
>>> where TomEE as well would make great sense.
>>>
>>> [1]
>> http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/articles/java/raspberrypi-1704896.html
>>> [2] http://ninjablocks.com/
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>> Daniel

>> make

>> switched

>> branch

dsh

Re: 1.6.0

dsh
Did you figure out what exactly is slow? Disk IO (USB or onboard storage)?
The CPU itself and if yes did you try overclocking (might require passive
cooling)?